Men wear perfume for many reasons and more often than not, the impression a scent leaves about you to other people lasts. So, whether it smelled good or bad, you’ve already made your mark, and it’s quite difficult to change.
That is why it's essential to wear a scent that's uniquely you, a scent that portrays who you are and speaks about your personality and character. It's vital to find your signature scent in this world where originality is becoming scarce.
But why do people wear scents in the first place? People wear fragrances for the following reasons:
- It's a great subtle way of displaying one's personality.
- It gives the overall impression of being put together.
- It creates an emotional connection to other people.
Before picking a scent, you have to determine the amount you're willing to pay for it. Fragrances with a higher concentration of oils tend to be more expensive as they last longer than those with lower concentrations. Here are the different types of fragrances:
- Eau de parfum: 15% to 20% concentration, lasts for five to eight hours
- Eau de toilette: 5% to 15% concentration, lasts for two to three hours
- Eau de cologne: 2% to 4% concentration and lasts for two hours
- Eau fraiche: 1% to 3% concentration lasts for two hours
How to choose your signature scent? If you want to find out more, you can check out this great site. Here are a few ways that can help you pick a scent that will be your signature style:
- Ask Yourself Who You Are
Before picking a scent, you have to ask yourself who you are. What's your personality? Are you a confident career guy? Are you a happy-go-lucky laid-back man? Or are you the alpha male who's enterprising and assertive? When you know the answer to this question, you can start picking scents that match your personality.
- Determine The Scent Layers
Fragrances have different notes. Each note performs different functions but blends nicely to make up the final fragrance. By understanding fragrance notes, you'll know which scent will tickle and allure you. Here are the fragrance notes:
- Top notes: the smell you detect immediately, the lightest of all notes, and the first to fade after application. Some examples are citrus, light fruits, and fresh herbs.
- Heart notes or middle notes: the central theme and foundation of a scent. It usually appears when the top notes fade away. Some popular middle notes are cinnamon, rose, lemongrass, and ylang-ylang.
- Base notes: it clings around the longest but will shine through once the top notes have completely evaporated. Some examples are vanilla, musk, sandalwood, and patchouli.
- Explore A Range Of Scents And Find Which Speaks To You
The trick is to go to the shop with a clean perspective and a new olfactory sense. After smelling one fragrance, clean your nose like you would cleanse your palette with water. You can do this by smelling coffee. Smelling various scents can be overwhelming, and you might get dazed and confused when you don't clean your nose. Check which scents attract you and narrow it down to four.
- Give The Scents A Try
Spray the four scents on the designated parts of your body and observe. Spray the four you have picked on each of your left and right wrists and left and right elbows. Smell them at different time intervals.
Ideally, every 30 minutes, take a whiff and take notes of your observation. The scents usually change after a while. You may notice that some scents will dissipate while some become stronger. With this, you can apply what you know about the fragrance layers.
Narrow your choice to the one you favor the most.
- Buy A Small Bottle To Try
Resist buying a big bottle because you still need to check how the perfume or cologne will react to your body. When mixed with your sweat, you may find that some scents can turn a little off. Spray the scent and be active. It's like you're giving the fragrance a trial run or a dress rehearsal. After a day of activity, you can determine if you'll still be drawn and charmed by it. How a fragrance reacts with your body chemistry will tell if the scent is what you’re looking for.
- Explore New Scents
Even if you have discovered what you like, you might want to explore other scents that you might want to use depending on the occasion or the season.
A scent is so powerful that it influences other people’s perceptions of your personality. Having a signature scent is like having a constant companion, a shadow that gives your character depth and meaning. Choosing your signature scent can be daunting in the beginning, but having the right knowledge to guide you can be very helpful. So, with all the things you know now, go out, wake up, and figure out what scent suits you the best.